What is Orthopedics?

Orthopedics is a field of medicine focusing on the diagnosis and treatment of people with disorders of the musculoskeletal system. This system encompasses many major parts of the body, including the bones, muscles, joints, nerves, ligaments, tendons, and skin. Physicians specializing in this field of medicine are called orthopedic surgeons.

Orthopedic surgeons use a number of methods to treat their patients in all aspects of their musculoskeletal disorders. Surgery is one of these methods, in addition to other medical, physical and rehabilitation techniques. For the typical orthopedic surgeon, about 75 percent of their practice is devoted to non-surgical methods of medical management, while the remaining 25 percent of their time is devoted to surgical management of orthopedic disorders. Working closely with other types of physicians, the orthopedic surgeon can fill the role of consultant when treating a patient’s complex medical needs.

As a specialty, orthopedics encompasses a broad spectrum of diseases and conditions, such osteoarthritis, broken bones, sprains, and tears. Patients experiencing conditions such as torn ligaments, rupture discs, sciatica, chronic lower back pain, bunions, muscular dystrophy, bone fractures, or joint pain may find relief after consulting with an orthopedist.

Because of the breadth and variety of conditions treated, an orthopedist must have an intimate knowledge of a wide range of orthopedic treatments. At Pontchartrain Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, our physicians are well versed in many advanced forms of treatment, including joint replacement, arthroscopic surgery, viscous injections, carpal tunnel repair, and fracture management. Our specialized team of physicians is ready to tailor an orthopedic treatment plan suitable to you and your lifestyle.


Physical Therapy

We offer a broad range of orthopedic services, including total joint replacements, arthroscopic surgery, fracture management, and viscous injections. The team at Pontchartrain Orthopedics & Sports Medicine offers a comprehensive approach to diagnosing and treating your orthopedic needs.

Read More

Sports Medicine

Our highly trained team is equipped to treat a wide spectrum of sports-related injuries, from minor sprains to major bone fractures. Whether you are a weekend warrior or a professionally trained athlete, our team of physicians has the skill and experience to treat your athletic injury.

Read More

Pain Management

Pain can prevent even the most active people from living their lives comfortably. We at Pontchartrain Orthopedics & Sports Medicine offer a wide range of pain management options to suit your unique needs, including interventional spine treatments, botox injections, and ultrasound guided injections.

Read More